Credit Card Recommended Closing Practices:
The following article will review the recommended steps to close a location at the end of each night. This will help to ensure all credit card and tip transactions are submitted and finalized, so that all funds are received.
1) Enter all tips for the location that will be submitted in this batch
Is is important that any tips from the location that still need to be submitted are entered before the location batches, otherwise, tips cannot be submitted through the Lavu system. If tip entry or modification is needed after a batch has been closed, the credit card gateway company can assist. For more information on when to contact the gateway, and gateway contact information, click here.
Note: Lavu Local Server Clients can only submit tips through the Lavu application.
Server Tip Entry:
Have servers enter tips by the end of the night using the Lavu application.
- While in the default service type view, (tables, tabs, or quick serve) tap the Hamburger menu located on the bottom lefthand side of the application.
- Select "Functions".
- Select "Server Functions".
- Select "Server Tips."
- On this screen, enter the respective tips in each column or box.
- When finished, tap the "Submit" icon on the top righthand side of the screen.
- Repeat, as needed, for each server.
Manager Tip Entry:
Managers can enter any remaining tips for the location through the Control Panel.
Note: For Lavu Local Server (LLS) clients, a manager can utilize the server tips screen to access all of the tip transactions for the location by entering a manager pin number at the bottom the server tips area.
- Navigate to cp.poslavu.com.
- Log into the admin control panel with the username and password.
- Select the "End of Day" on the navigation panel.
- Select “Tips and CC Batching.”
- On the top left of the screen, select the appropriate date or date range.
- The tips section displays a summary of tips earned by all staff who were clocked in during the date range you have set. You can click on the Review button to review and edit the server’s tips.
- For each server enter any remaining tips to the orders listed on this screen. Click "Submit Tips" for each.
- As the location has now submitted tips, if you are using the "sale" transaction type you can click the "Settle Batch" button now. All accounts, regardless of credit card integration, will have this button. This is how to manually settle your batch through Lavu.
- If you are using the "auth" transaction type, please follow the Capture Authorizations section below.
You may also have the option to auto-batch depending on your gateway and/or processor. Contact your merchant representative for your credit card processing or review your online merchant portal to set this up.
Please read the note below and the introduction paragraph to Capture Authorizations for a brief description on why this process is important.
Note: This will submit any and all tips to the processor and will finalize any open transactions. Additionally, any error(s) that will keep the batch from settling all transactions will display. If any error messages do appear, take note of the transactions and contact the gateway provider’s support number.
To view a location's current gateway, navigate to "Settings" > "Payment", and select Card Integration from the list below "Payment Settings". The Payment Gateway Drop down will have the current gateway’s name listed. If gateway contact information cannot be located, feel free to reach out to our 24/7 Customer Care team at 855-528-8457.
2) Capture Authorizations
At the end of each night, you must capture authorizations if you are using the AUTH transaction type. This is what will actually pull the money out of your customers’ banks and add it to your merchant batch. The Review Tips & CC Batching page will automatically adjust to suit your needs based on your Credit Card Integration Settings. Your page will look like the image below if you are using AUTH and there are authorizations to capture. You will not see the CAPTURE AUTHORIZATIONS button if there are no authorizations to capture.
- Notice that there are no tips in the Review Tips section. This is because there are no open transactions for the selected date (1/8/19).
- Below that is a warning. This warning will only appear if you have an uncaptured transaction. This means that you that you settled your batch before capturing all authorizations for the date(s) indicated. This account neglected to capture all authorizations on 12/20/2018. They would need to adjust their date range in the Review Tips & CC Batching page to this date, submit the tips on the open transactions, capture authorizations, and then settle the batch.
- Next is the CAPTURE AUTHORIZATION button. Click this button after you have submitted tips for all of the servers with transactions.
- The final step is the SETTLE BATCH button. All accounts, regardless of credit card integration, will have this button. This is how to manually settle your batch through Lavu. You may also have the option to auto-batch depending on your gateway and/or processor. Contact your merchant representative for your credit card processing or review your online merchant portal to set this up.
Note: Traditionally, a location has 30 days after the transaction is rung to close the authorization to the order before funds are released back to the customer. This policy is defined by the Gateway and Processor. For any questions on authorization limits, please contact the Gateway or Processor directly. PayPal transactions have to be reauthorized after 3 days, and captured, using the PayPal Portal. For more information and contact details, please click here.
To view a location's current gateway, navigate to the "Settings" tab and "CC integration." The Payment Gateway Drop down will have the current gateway’s name listed. If gateway contact information cannot be located, feel free to reach out to our 24/7 Customer Care team at 855-528-8457.