Tab preauthorization is a function built into Lavu that allows users to authorize credit cards for a predetermined amount when creating a new tab. The card itself may then be returned to the customer right away, with future payment of the bill guaranteed by the preauthorization (preauth) stored in the POS. When the customer is ready to pay their tab, the preauthorization may be captured for the full balance from the Check Out screen without re-swiping the credit card.
Note: The amount for which all preauthorizations will be run (as well as other settings that affect tab preauth function) may be set in the Control Panel by managers with access to the Admin portal.
Tab preauths are most commonly used by bar locations, though any restaurant that incorporates the Tab Layout into their restaurant service workflow may benefit from preauthorized transactions.
CREATING A TAB PREAUTHORIZATION
1. From the Tab Layout, tap green circle Add button.
2. When the “New Tab” dialog box appears, tap the switch to activate the authorization action. The switch should turn green when it is activated (see below). Then, swipe the customer’s credit card.
3. The Tab Layout screen will move to the Order Screen upon successful preauthorization. With no items yet added, it will indicate that the order is “Overpaid” in the amount of the preauthorization.
CAPTURING A PREAUTHORIZATION
1. Add items to the order as with any normal tab until the customer is ready to settle their bill.Take the order to the Check Out Screen.
2. Tap the “PreAuth with Card” payment line in the order pad.
3. Select "PreAuth Capture".
4. Tap “Yes” to confirm the capture send for the full balance of the order.
5. A dialog box will affirm successful authorization capture. Tap "Continue".
This will auto-close the check and your screen will move to a fresh Order Screen upon successful capture.